Mr. BK Dalit is an environmental activist and developmental campaigner. He has more than 15 years of practical experience in rural and urban development and organizational leadership, management and administration.
He has long-term experience with UN-Habitat youth programs and has participated at UN-Habitat’s several international events since 2010.He is actively involved in global dialogues on issues related to youth, employment, environment, land, agriculture, food security/hunger and sustainable development.
During the participation at UN-Habitat’s international events, he got an opportunity to consult with several world-class urban developmental practitioners, professionals and scholars on urban developmental issues. He also held interaction with more than one hundred urban development experts, scholars and urban-based civil society leaders around the world, leading to groundbreaking recommendations for better urban communities. Face-to-face interaction and inputs strengthened his knowledge on urban issues and encouraged him to found the Green Institute, to further the development of better cities and communities in Nepal. Through this institution, he aims to promote and strengthen governmental and community initiatives for developing a green, smart and sustainable city and community in Nepal. He wants to work for sustainable development of cities and rural communities in Nepal.
He is the Founding Chair of Team for Nature and Wildlife(TNW),Prangarik Pathshala(school of agriculture) and Global Youth Forum for Food, Agriculture and Land(GYFAL). He is also the Patron of Nepal Cycle City Network(NCCN) and founding campaigner of Kathmandu Cycle City 2020. He has worked as a consultant for several national and international projects. His social initiatives and achievements have been highly recognized and promoted at international level. In December 2017, he has been selected by the UN-SDSN for UN-SDSN member Showcase on SDSN Mobilize, an initiative of featuring extraordinary person within the UN-SDSN.
He has participated as a speaker at a number of United Nations’ international conferences/events:
- In 2010, he was a Speaker on “Youth and climate change ” in 5th UN World Urban Youth Assembly organized by UN-HABITAT in Brazil.
- In 2012, during the sixth session of the UN-World Urban Forum held in Naples, Italy, he had spoken at the Youth Round table.
- In 2012, he spoke on “Connecting Youth to Land and Land to Youth” organized by UN HABITAT and Global Land Tool Network in Morocco.
- In 2013, he spoke at Learning Exchange workshop on Youth and Land issues organized by UN-Habitat, the Global Land Tool Network (GLTN) and the Netherlands Ministry of Foreign Affairs held on 11-14 November 2013, The Hague, Netherlands
- In 2013, he was a speaker at the United Nations General Assembly side events on Youth, Land and Agriculture organized by UN Habitat and GLTN, at UN Headquarter, New York on 17th September 2013.
- In 2013, he spoke for “UN Roundtable on investing in Young People: United Nations General Assembly side events on Youth” held on 19th September 2013 at UN Headquarter, New York.
- In 2014, he was a Speaker on “Youth Roundtable: Youth and Human Rights” in 7th UN-World Urban Forum organized by UN-Habitat, held on 11th April 2014 in Medellin, Colombia.
- In 2014, he was a Speaker on “ youth, land and agriculture” at a GLTN/ UN-Habitat Workshop held in Naivasha, Kenya, on 20th- 23rd On July 2014,
- In 2015, he was a speaker on “ Youth, land, agriculture and employment” and a Rapporteur for “ Land and conflict session” in the 6th GLTN Partners Meeting held at the UN-Habitat Headquarters, in the UN Compound in Gigiri, Nairobi, Kenya, held on the 3 – 5 November 2015,
He has participated in a number of international meetings:
- As a Youth Delegate of Nepal in “High Level Event of the United Nations General Assembly marking 20th Anniversary of the World Programme of Action for Youth” organized by the President of the General Assembly on 29th May 2015, Friday at General Assembly Hall, UN Headquarters, New york
- As an expert in “GLTN Expert Group Meeting on Land”, in the Netherlands in 2014
- As a participant at “International youth partnership” meeting in Paris, France in 2011
Additionally, he has spoken as a guest speaker in several international environmental conferences organized by international environmental organizations.