Green City Development:
The Green Institute attempts to encourage, advice, technically assist and work together with municipalities or cities in Nepal to make green cities and communities. In this context, the Green Institute will utilize knowledge, skills, ideas, expertise and experiences of its core team members and advisers in green city/municipality development.
Green Institute attempts to:
- Mainstream environmental concerns into urban planning, design and development
- Support the municipality to develop master plan, action plan, guidelines, roadmap for green cities
- Find out environmental sensitive areas in municipality, and find measures to protect environment and mitigate natural disasters,
- Support the municipality to develop better and more resilient plans and strategies that address climate change related risks.
- Explore city resilience mechanisms, adaptation and mitigation capacities and the possibilities of the city to deal with climate change risks through adequate plans.
- Advise and work with municipality for necessary environmental protection, conservation and improvement interventions
- Advise and work with municipality for Strategic Environment Assessment (SEE), IEE and EIA
- Advise and work with municipality to make an analysis of environmental condition in the area
- Assist municipality to set goals and objectives for environmental sectors, provides critical measures to improve natural and man-made environment of the area.
- Assist municipality to make an assessment of urban environmental concerns as these are growing to critical level due to air, land, noise, visual pollution, high fossil fuel consumption, land use incompatibility, public space encroachment, growth of squatter settlements, disregard for cultural heritage/ aesthetic of indigenous architecture and Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
- Advise and work together with municipalities to make a green city
- Facilitate the municipality to link with national and international stakeholders working on green cities
Sustainable City Development:
The Green Institute attempts to develop sustainable cities and communities by assisting the government and communities in achieving the targets set by United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) no : 11. With the contribution of the experts and consultants associated with the Green Institute and its partner institutions, it will attempt to assist the key urban developmental stakeholders to develop an action plan, apply a scientific, systematic, strategic planning approach for designing and implementation of smart, green and sustainable city developmental initiatives.
Nepal is highly vulnerable to natural disasters including earthquake. Despite its low contribution on GHGs emissions, the country is witnessing adverse impacts of climate change, which has amplified climate disasters. In this context, we provide technical advisory services, expertise and assistance to cities become more resilient to the environmental, physical, social, and economic challenges and enable cities to absorb recover and prepare for future shocks. We help to enable cities avoid and adapt to climate-related disasters, manage disaster risk and the impacts of climate change.
For strengthening urban resilience, we make a Rapid City diagnosis and research to better understand cities’ present status on urban resiliency. We assess city’s strengths, vulnerabilities, and exposure to different natural disasters and manmade threats in order to build their resilience. Then, we help cities improve their understanding of risk and the performance of urban systems and to identify priority actions that will enhance city’s resilience. We devise plan, policies, approaches and strategies to reduce exposure and vulnerability to shocks and increase cities’ adaptive capacity. In coordination with city governments, we also organize events like knowledge/skill development workshop for enhancing knowledge and skills and sharing best practice in improving urban resilience.